Top 10 Facts About Plastic
Here is something interesting from Express.co.uk….. Top 10 Facts About Plastic
1. Dr Baekeland devised the plastic as a possible man-made replacement for shellac, which was made from excretions of the kerria lacca insect.
2. The very first plastic was Parkesine, invented by Alexander Parkes in 1856. It cracked and was flammable, so was not a total success.
4. That sense of ‘plastic’ has been recorded in English since the late 16th century.
5. ‘Plastic explosives’ were first referred to in 1907 and ‘plastic bag’ arrived in 1941.
6. ‘Plastic surgeon’ came in 1863 and credit and debit cards were first called ‘plastic money’ in 1969.
7. About 500 billion plastic bags are used worldwide every year.
8. The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is the name given to a collection of marine debris mostly comprising plastic in the North Pacific Ocean.
9. A fleece jacket can be made from 25 recycled plastic drinks bottles.
10. “She got her looks from her father. He’s a plastic surgeon,” (Groucho Marx).
Proficient Packaging – Flexible Packaging Specialists in Cape Town